Child Custody, Visitation, Time-sharing and Parental Responsibility

Florida law has changed. The terms child custody and visitation are no longer used. The courts no longer award sole or joint custody. These terms have been replaced by parental responsibility and time sharing.

Parental Responsibility

Parental responsibility refers to responsibility in the upbringing of the children. Normally, the court will order shared parental responsibility. This responsibility will be clearly laid out in a parenting plan so that a system of effective co-parenting can be established. Shared parental responsibility gives each parent an equal share in making important decisions affecting the children, such as what school they will attend, what religious upbringing will they have, what doctor they will go to.

Sole parental responsibility is when one parent has all the decision making ability. The court will only order sole parental responsibility when shared parental responsibility would be detrimental to the child(ren).


Time-sharing replaces the term visitation. A time-sharing schedule will be clearly set out in a parenting plan so that each parent knows what days of the week and what holiday they will have the children for.

In most family law case were there are minor children, parental responsibility and timesharing will be an issue. We understand that dealing with these complicated legal matters is hard on the entire family. We suggest that you speak with a family law attorney to learn about your rights and legal options. The attorneys at the Morey Law Firm, P.A. have experience in representing parents in family law case throughout the central Florida area. Contact us for a free consultation.

Where can I find information about time sharing and parental responsibility?

Online, the internet offers a wealth of information about time sharing and parental responsibility. The best place to find information that is both reliable and accurate is the Florida State Statues, Chapter 61, Part II but the language might be difficult or you may not find direct answers to your specific questions or situation.

Because your situation may be complicated or very unique, you may want to consider contacting a family law attorney who can explain your options in a way you will be able to understand. In the central Florida area, including Polk, Orange, Osceola, Alachua, Lake, Volusia, and Seminole counties, the Morey Law Firm, P.A. offers experienced legal advice for any of your family law needs.

What if I move out of Florida? What if I move to Florida?

If your original time sharing and parental responsibility arrangement was determined in Florida, but you end up moving out of state, there may be options available to you. Conversely, if you move to Florida from another state you may need to have jurisdiction of your case transferred from the state you lived in. Either way, you may need legal assistance to help you navigate the court system and ensure that your time sharing and parental responsibility decisions are fully implemented in a way that is best for you and your family’s legal interests.

The Morey Law Firm, P.A. offers experienced family law attorneys who take pride in developing trusting relationships with their clients, and strive to provide competent and professional counsel in a relaxed client-oriented environment.

Our law offices are centrally located in Orlando, FL, allowing us to provide representation throughout Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Volusia, Lake, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Polk, and Alachua Counties. We are conveniently located just blocks from the Orange County Courthouse at 250 North Orange Avenue, Suite 1220, Orlando, FL 32801.

Please call our office today at (407) 426-7222 to make an appointment with one of our Orlando attorneys for a free confidential consultation.